When you’ve just managed to squeeze a workout into an already busy day, post-workout nutrition might be the last thing on your mind. However, regardless of whether your goal is to lose fat, tone up, get fitter or just become healthier, getting in the right foods after your workout is almost as important as your workout itself.
A good post-workout meal will include protein and carbohydrates. Protein will help reduce muscle soreness and build muscle and carbohydrates will replenish glycogen levels.
It’s a good idea to eat within an hour of your workout to maximise these benefits.
Try one of these quick and easy protein and carb snack combos to help replenish your energy levels after a tough boot camp session even when you’re on the go.
- ¼ cup of hummus and crackers
- Plain yogurt with 1/2 cup of fruit
- Tuna (drizzle a little lemon juice or olive oil for taste) on 1 slice of bread
- 1 small banana and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter blended into a smoothie or spread on 2 rice cakes
- Oatmeal mixed with 1 scoop protein powder
- Orange slices and almonds
- Organic beef jerky and almond milk
- 1 egg and ¼ avocado on toast
Let’s not forget to drink plenty of water before, during and after your workout to replace the fluids lost by your body through sweating.